Friday 1 September 2017

August WIPocalypse

I'm a little late for this check-in, but I think it still counts :) The question of the month is How do you get yourself out of a stitching drought?, and I've read some really good answers and pointers on other people's blogs so far. For me, depending on the situation, one of three methods seems to work: If I want to stitch, but feel like everything is just frustrating me, I like to change my 'mode' of stitching - I go from OaaT to rotation or from everything at once to just one, whatever feels right. I cut a few deadlines, maybe have a new start, et voilá, stitching is fun again!
Then again, sometimes I really don't want to stitch. I have some other hobbies, some crafty, some not, and they all seem to operate in phases. So if I'm in a 'phase' were I just want to play a ton of video games instead of stitching, it's best to just go with it - it's never lasted longer than a week or so before I wanted to include at least a little stitching in my free time again.
And then there are times when life gets just too busy for anything...in these times I usually cling to every bit of stitching time I can get, so it helps to take a small project with me at all times, so I can make use even of small breaks.

Now for my most recent progress. I had a busy week - first, we went to Felix' parents on Sunday to weeks ago. From there, I went to Cologne on Monday to visit the gamescom, a video game convention. I saw a lot of interesting and fun games there and also met quite a few people I hadn't seen in a long time, and a few I'd only talked to online so far as well! For this week, I took my Halloween Cat SAL with me, but I was so busy that aside from a little stitching on the train there and back, I didn't make any progress.






Saturday morning, I went back to Felix' parents, and spent the day recovering from a fun but exhausting week, stitching on Fire and Ember. I finished my current page some time Sunday. There was quite a bit of confetti - I feel like I have used every shade of orange, red and yellow there is - but so worth it in the end, isn't that dragon eye impressive? I can't wait to get started on the other half.



Sunday morning, we drove back home, which took us quite a bit longer than expected because there was so much traffic! I made good use of the time finishing part 5 of the Arke-CAL, though. This has become quite big, and I'm a bit worried I won't have enough yarn to finish the last part. I'll see how things work out when I get there.


So that's it for this week - just a little bit of busy times ahead before things finally calm down a bit. I can't wait!





8 comments:

Pamela said...

You've made good progress. I really like the Halloween cat.

Linda said...

Wonderful progress Leonore.

Linda

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

The dragon's eye has a lot of beautiful color and depth to it. You're making great progress. Happy stitching! Andrea

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love train stitching too!
I would definitely have wanted to complete the dragon eye, even if it meant going on to the next page, it looks so good.

Brigitte said...

Eine ganze Woche Gamescom, das klingt toll für einen Videospiele Fan (also nicht für mich, lach). Ich kenne da auch welche, die ebenfalls schon dort waren :)
Trotzdem bist du bei deinen Projekten doch ganz schön weitergekommen. Die Halloween Katze wird lustig.

Lady Stitch-a-Lot said...

I hope you enjoyed the Gamescom (and that you were not forced to drink koelsch...) ;-)
I think the dragons eye looks stunning, as does the fire the dragon breathes. I'm looking forward to see more of both parts in your next update ;-)

Susan said...

Sounds like you've been busy. I've missed all the tips for getting out of a slump as I've been in a blogging slump. Love the cat and the CAL piece is beautiful

Suz said...

Wonderful progress!

gamescom sounds like fun!