Friday 7 July 2017

The Alphabet Club - X

And again we are back with another installment of the alphabet club...this time, in time! We have arrived at 'X', so only two more to go after this post...I'm getting excited for the new 'thing' starting at the end of TAC that Jo has been teasing about. Of course, this is not an easy letter (unless you 'cheat' and count 'x stitch', then it gets really easy!), but I looked through my finishes and found those two. Don't the just look like big, elaborate X's to you?


Finding a word for 'X' isn't any more easy than finding stitching - I think all German words starting with an 'X' are Greek in origin and thus almost the same as in English. But we actually have a town (well, at least the one that I know of) with an 'X' name - Xanten. For me it was just one of those towns whose existence I was mildly aware of, without actually knowing much about it, but I did some reading about it - Xanten is in the middle-west of Germany, near Düsseldorf. It plays a prominent role in the Nibelungen-legend (the one that all the operas by Wagner are about) and has a history as a Roman settlement and military camp around the year 0. Maybe I will visit some day!

4 comments:

Pamela said...

I agree - X is very difficult. I have fallen behind again. I think my last letter was U. Maybe I can catch up on finish on time.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I like your workaround for X. Those do indeed look like giant Xs. Well done on finding a town too.

Bethan said...

Great finds for X - the stitches really do look like elaborate X's! x

Brigitte said...

Die schwierigsten Buchstaben kommen zum Schluß, aber die Stickereien passen gut. Xanten erinnert mich an di Stadt-Land-Fluss Spiele, die wir früher immer gespielt haben. Auch da waren X und Y nicht so prickelnd, lol.